[Rd] [External] Possible ALTREP bug

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 28 19:13:17 CEST 2021

Hi Jim et al,

Just to hopefully add a bit to what Luke already answered, from what I am
recalling looking back at that bioconductor thread Elt methods are used in
places where there are hard implicit assumptions that no garbage collection
will occur (ie they are called on things that aren't PROTECTed), and beyond
that, in places where there are hard assumptions that no error (longjmp)
will occur. I could be wrong, but I don't know that suspending garbage
collection would protect from the second one. Ie it is possible that an
error *ever* being raised from R code that implements an elt method could
cause all hell to break loose.

Luke or Tomas Kalibera would know more.

I was disappointed that implementing ALTREPs in R code was not in the cards
(it was in my original proposal back in 2016 to the DSC) but I trust Luke
that there are important reasons we can't safely allow that.

Best,
~G