[Rd] parallel PSOCK connection latency is greater on Linux?

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Nov 2 01:55:45 CET 2021

Jeff,

Perhaps I'm just missing something here, but ms is generally milliseconds,
not microseconds (which are much smaller), right?

Also, this seems to just be how long it takes to roundtrip serialize iris
(in 4.1.0  on mac osx, as thats what I have handy right this moment):

> microbenchmark({x <- unserialize(serialize(iris, connection = NULL))})

Unit: microseconds

                                                         expr    min      lq

 {     x <- unserialize(serialize(iris, connection = NULL)) } 35.378 36.0085

     mean  median     uq   max neval

 40.26888 36.4345 43.641 80.39   100

> res <- system.time(replicate(10000, {x <- unserialize(serialize(iris,
connection = NULL))}))

> res/10000

    user   system  elapsed

4.58e-05 2.90e-06 4.88e-05

Thus the overhead appears to be extremely minimal in your results above,
right? In fact it seems to be comparable or lower than replicate.

~G