[Rd] gettext(msgid, domain="R") doesn't work for some 'msgid':s

Fri Nov 5 16:12:20 CET 2021

On 05/11/2021 10:51 a.m., Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> I'm trying to reuse some of the translations available in base R by using:
>
>    gettext(msgid, domain="R")
>
> This works great for most 'msgid's, e.g.
>
> $ LANGUAGE=de Rscript -e 'gettext("cannot get working directory", domain="R")'
> [1] "kann das Arbeitsverzeichnis nicht ermitteln"
>
> However, it does not work for all.  For instance,
>
> $ LANGUAGE=de Rscript -e 'gettext("Execution halted\n", domain="R")'
> [1] "Execution halted\n"
>
> This despite that 'msgid' existing in:
>
> $ grep -C 2 -F 'Execution halted\n' src/library/base/po/de.po
>
> #: src/main/main.c:342
> msgid "Execution halted\n"
> msgstr "Ausführung angehalten\n"
>
> It could be that the trailing newline causes problems, because the
> same happens also for:
>
> $ LANGUAGE=de Rscript --vanilla -e 'gettext("error during cleanup\n",
> domain="R")'
> [1] "error during cleanup\n"
>
> Is this meant to work, and if so, how do I get it to work, or is it a bug?

I don't know the solution, but I think the cause is different than you
think, because I also have the problem with other strings not including
"\n":

$ LANGUAGE=de Rscript -e 'gettext("malformed version string", domain="R")'
[1] "malformed version string"

Duncan Murdoch