[Rd] How is the environment variable "R_USER" defined?

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 22 19:50:03 CET 2021

On 11/22/21 7:06 PM, Jiefei Wang wrote:
> Thanks for all your help!! It actually has nothing to do with the
> environment variables. The issue is caused by the backup feature in
> Onedrive as Bill suggested. I do not know what magic trick Onedrive
> uses here but it misadvices R to use its directory, not my local
> Document directory. The answer might be from Windows FAQ question 2.14
> like Duncan posted
>
> After those two user-controllable settings, R tries to find
> system-defined home directories. It first tries to use the Windows
> "personal" directory
>
> This is confusing. First, this FAQ is not about how "R_USER" is
> defined. Instead, it talks about how we find the home directory from
> "R_USER".
My understanding of the text is that R_USER is defined as (one of the)
environment variable(s) which one can set to override what R understands
to be the R "home directory"
>   Second, it still did not answer what is "the Windows
> personal directory". I think this is where the issue is. My Document
> still has the path "C:\Users\wangj\Documents", but there is a backup
> path in "C:\Users\wangj\OneDrive\Documents". Unfortunately, R believes
> the latter one is the "personal directory". I hope this can be
> clarified a little bit to avoid confusion.

The "personal directory" is a Windows term. R obtains it via Windows API
call SHGetSpecialFolderLocation with CSIDL_PERSONAL (which is now My
Documents), this is why the wording in rw-FAQ:

"It first tries to use the Windows "personal" directory (typically
@file{C:\Users\username \Documents}).", which gives a typical value.

Best
Tomas