[Rd] Environment setting _R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_='true'

Sebastian Meyer @eb@meyer @end|ng |rom |@u@de
Wed Oct 20 09:31:33 CEST 2021

(this should have been posted to R-package-devel, not R-devel)

Am 20.10.21 um 00:17 schrieb John Maindonald via R-devel:
> Setting
> Sys,setenv('_R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_'=‘true’)
> or Sys,setenv('_R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_’=TRUE)
>
> (either appear to be acceptable) appears to have no effect when I do, e.g.

If you set the environment variable inside a running R process, it will
only affect that process and child processes, but not an independent R
process launched from a shell like you seem to be doing here:

> $R CMD check qra_0.2.4.tar.gz
> * using log directory ‘/Users/johnm1/pkgs/qra.Rcheck’
> * using R version 4.1.1 (2021-08-10)
> * using platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)
> * using session charset: UTF-8
> . . .
>
> (This should have failed.)

How to set environment variables is system-specific. On a Unix-like
system, you could use the command

_R_CHECK_DEPENDS_ONLY_=true  R CMD check qra_0.2.4.tar.gz

to set the environment variable for this R process.
See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable.

Best regards,

	Sebastian Meyer