[Rd] Slow try in combination with do.call

Thu Sep 16 17:48:41 CEST 2021

    > Hi,
    > It seems like a try(do.call(f, args)) can be very slow on error depending on the args size. This is related to a complete deparse of the call using deparse(call)[1L] within the try function. How about replacing deparse(call)[1L] by deparse(call, nlines = 1)?

    > Best,
    > Alex

an *excellent* idea!

I have checked that the resulting try() object continues to contain the
long large call; indeed that is not the problem, but the
deparse()ing  *is* as you say above.

{The experts typically use  tryCatch() directly, instead of  try() ,
 which may be the reason other experienced R developers have not
 stumbled over this ...}

Thanks a lot, notably also for the clear  repr.ex. below.

Best regards,
Martin