[Rd] [External] Re: Workaround very slow NAN/Infinities arithmetic?

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 30 22:05:28 CEST 2021

Mildly related (?) to this discussion, if you happen to be in a situation
where you know something is a C NAN, but need to check if its a proper R
NA, the R_IsNA function is surprisingly (to me, at least) expensive to do
in a tight loop because it calls the (again, surprisingly expensive to me)
isnan function.  This can happen in known sorted  Altrep REALSXPs where you
can easily determine the C-NAN status of all elements in the vector with a
binary search for the edge of the NANs, so in O(logn) calls to R_isnan. You
could notably also determine finiteness of all elements this way with a
couple more O(logn) passes if you needed to in the sorted case.

This came up when I was developing the patch for the unique/duplicated
fastpass for known-sorted vectors (thanks to Michael for working with me on
that and putting it in); I ended up writing an NAN_IS_R_NA macro to avoid
that isnan call since it's known. This was necessary (well, helpful at
least) because unique/duplicated care about the difference between NA and
NaN, while sorting and REAL_NO_NA (because ALTREP metadata/behavior is
closely linked to sort behavior) do not. In the case where you have a lot
of NAN values of solely one type or the other (by far most often because
they are all NAs and none are NaNs) the difference in speedup was
noticeably significant as I recall. I don't have the numbers handy but I
could run them again if desired.

~G