[Rd] Matrix issues when building R with znver3 architecture under GCC 11

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 13 08:00:02 CEST 2022

Hi Kieran,

On 4/12/22 02:36, Kieran Short wrote:
> [...]
> architecture and pass all tests with "make check-all".
> I configured that with:
>> ~/R/R-4.1.3/configure CC=gcc-11.2 CXX=g++-11.2 FC=gfortran-11.2
> CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=x86-64" CFLAGS="-O3 -march=x86-64" FFLAGS="-O3
> -march=x86-64" --enable-memory-profiling --enable-R-shlib
> and built with
>> make -j 32 -O
>> make check-all
> ## PASS.
>
> So I can build R in my environment with GCC11.
> In configure, I am using references to "gcc-11.2" "gfortran-11.2" and
> "g++-11.2" because I compiled GCC11 compilers with these suffixes.
>
> Now, I'm using a 32 thread (16 core) AMD Zen3 CPU (a 5950x), and want to
> use it to its full potential. Zen3 optimizations are available as a
> -march=znver3 option n GCC11. The znver3 optimizations improve performance
> in Phoronix Test Suite benchmarks (I'm not aware of anyone that has
> compiled R with them). See:
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-5950x-gcc11
>
> However, the R 4.1.3 build (made with "make -j 32 -O"), configured with
> -march=znver3, produces an R that fails "make check-all".
>
>> ~/R/R-4.1.3/configure CC=gcc-11.2 CXX=g++-11.2 FC=gfortran-11.2
> CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=znver3" CFLAGS="-O2 -march=znver3" FFLAGS="-O2
> -march=znver3" --enable-memory-profiling --enable-R-shlib
> or
>> ~/R/R-4.1.3/configure CC=gcc-11.2 CXX=g++-11.2 FC=gfortran-11.2
> CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=znver3" CFLAGS="-O3 -march=znver3" FFLAGS="-O3
> -march=znver3" --enable-memory-profiling --enable-R-shlib
>
> The fail is always in the factorizing.R Matrix.R tests, and in particular,
> there are a number of errors and a fatal error.
> I have attached the output because I cannot really understand what is going
> wrong. But results returned from matrix calculations are obviously odd with
> -march=znver3 in GCC 11. There is another backwards-compatible architecture
> option "znver2" and this has EXACTLY the same result.
>
> While there are other warrnings and errors (many in assert.EQ() ), the
> factorizing.R script continues. The fatal error (at line 2662 in the
> attached factorizing.Rout.fail text file) is:
>
>> ## problematic rank deficient rankMatrix() case -- only seen in large
> cases ??
>> Z. <- readRDS(system.file("external", "Z_NA_rnk.rds", package="Matrix"))
>> tools::assertWarning(rnkZ. <- rankMatrix(Z., method = "qr")) # gave errors
> Error in assertCondition(expr, classes, .exprString = d.expr) :
>    Failed to get warning in evaluating rnkZ. <- rankMatrix(Z., method  ...
> Calls: <Anonymous> -> assertCondition
> Execution halted
>
> Can anybody shed light on what might be going on here? 'make check-all'
> passes all the other checks. It is just factorizing.R in Matrix that fails
> (other matrix tests run ok).
> Sorry this is a bit long-winded, but I thought details might be important.

R gets used and tested most with the default optimizations, without use
of model-specific instructions and with -O2 (GCC). It happens time to
time that some people try other optimization options and run into
problems. In principle, there are these cases (seen before):

(1) the test in R package (or R) is wrong - it (unintentionally) expects
behavior which has been observed in builds with default optimizations,
but is not necessarily the only correct one; in case of numerical
tolerances set empirically, they could simply be too tight

(2) the algorithm in R package or R has a bug - the result is really
wrong and it is because the algorithm is (unintentionally) not portable
enough, it (unintentionally) only works with default optimizations or
lower; in case of numerical results, this can be because it expects more
precision from the floating point computations than mandated by IEEE, or
assumes behavior not mandated

(3) the optimization by design violates some properties the algorithm
knowingly depends on; with numerical computations, this can be a sort of
"fast" (and similarly referred to) mode which violates IEEE floating
point standard by design, in the aim of better performance; due to the
nature of the algorithm depending on IEEE, and poor luck, the results
end up completely wrong

(4) there is a bug in the C or Fortran compiler (GCC as we use GCC) that
only exhibits with the unusual optimizations; the compiler produces
wrong code

So, when you run into a problem like this and want to get that fixed,
the first thing is to identify which case of the above it is, in case of
1 and 2 also differentiate between base R and a package (and which
concrete package). Different people maintain these things and you would
ideally narrow down the problem to a very small, isolated, reproducible
example to support your claim where the bug is. If you do this right,
the problem can often get fixed very fast.

Such an example for (1) could be: few lines of standalone R code using
Matrix that produces correct results, but the test is not happy. With
pointers to the real check in the tests that is wrong. And an
explanation why the result is wrong.

For (2)-(4) it would be a minimal standalone C/Fortran example including
only the critical function/part of algorithm that is not correct/not
portable/not compiled correctly, with results obtained with
optimizations where it works and where it doesn't. Unless you find an
obvious bug in R easy to explain (2), when the example would not have to
be standalone. With such standalone C example, you could easily test the
results with different optimizations and compilers, it is easier to
analyze, and easier to produce a bug report for GCC. What would make it
harder in this case is that it needs special hardware, but you could
still try with the example, and worry about that later (one option is
running in an emulator, and again a standalone example really helps
here). In principle, as it needs special hardware, the chances someone
else would do this work is smaller. Indeed, if it turns out to be (3),
it is unlikely to get resolved, but at least would get isolated (you
would know what not to run).

As a user, if you run into a problem like this and do not want to get it
fixed, but just work it around somehow. First, it may be dangerous,
possibly one would get incorrect results from computations, but say in
applications where they are verified externally. You could try disabling
individual specific optimization until the tests pass. You could try
with later versions of gcc-11 (even unreleased) or gcc-12. Still, a lot
of this is easier with a small example, too. You could ignore the
failing test. And it may not be worth it - it may be that you could get
your speedups in a different, but more reliable way.

Using wsl2 on its own should not necessarily be a problem and the way
you built gcc from the description should be ok, but at some point it
would be worth checking under Linux and running natively - because even
if these are numerical differences, they could be in principle caused by
running on Windows (or in wsl2), at least in the past such differences
were seen (related to (2) above). I would recommend checking on Linux
natively once you have at least a standalone R example.

Best
Tomas