[Rd] Pipe operator status, placeholders?

Wed Apr 20 02:22:30 CEST 2022

On 19/04/2022 6:55 p.m., Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Ben,
>
> I think you considered only part of Peter's response. Placeholders can safely only work for the first call, hence at the top level. Anything below may not do what you think as you'd have to skip frames and suddenly things can have entirely different meaning since you're not evaluating in the scope of the preceding call. That is also the reason why only named arguments are allowed, because if it was not the case then you might be tempted to write x |> _$foo[1] which looks legit at a first glance, but is no longer at the top level (since it is `[`(`$`(_, foo), 1)) and thus not valid.

The R pipe is purely syntactic sugar, it just transforms expressions.  I
think the real reason not to allow _ to be deeply nested in an
expression is that it would make parsing really hard.  If you have

  x |> { some really huge expression }

then the parser would have to parse the huge expression and search it
for underscores to see what to do with x.  With the current rule, the
search is much easier, it's just at the top level.

There are probably cases where deeply nested underscores would be
ambiguous, e.g. if that huge expression contained a pipe operator
itself, who gets the substitution?

The other limitation of the transformation approach is that _ can only
occur once.  magrittr evaluates x and puts the value in where it sees a
dot, so this works to print 2 once and give a value of 4:

It's equivalent to

   *tmp* <- print(2)
   *tmp* + *tmp*

However, you'd have the print executed twice in

(if such was allowed), because it would be equivalent to

   print(2) + print(2)

Duncan Murdoch