[Rd] Undocumented 4.2.0 changes in grid text handling?

Paul Murrell p@u| @end|ng |rom @t@t@@uck|@nd@@c@nz
Fri Apr 22 03:44:10 CEST 2022

Hi

 From the github issue discussion, it looks like you have detected the
problem, which appears to be that 'gridtext' was paying attention to
gp$fontface, whereas 'grid' internally focuses on gp$font.

I created the problem for 'gridtext' by "tidying up" and removing
gp$fontface internally.  Apologies for that.

I think I can partially hide behind the fact that these are internal
details to 'grid', which is why the change was not documented in the
places that you point out.

Please let me know if you still think that there is an error in 'grid'
that needs fixing.

Paul

On 22/04/2022 3:38 am, Jan Netík wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been testing R 4.2.0 release candidates for some time and have spotted
> a few changes that are not documented in
> https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-4-2-branch/src/library/grid/inst/doc/changes.txt
> <https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-4-2-branch/src/library/grid/inst/doc/changes.txt>,
> general R NEWS, nor in this blogpost
> https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2021/12/14/updating-graphics-devices-for-r-4.2.0/index.html
> <https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2021/12/14/updating-graphics-devices-for-r-4.2.0/index.html>
> .
>
> In R 4.1.3, grid::gpar(fontface= "bold") results in a gpar "list" with
> $fontface and (legacy?) $font entries, but in R 4.2.0, there is only $font.
> In the manual, font is described only for backward compatibility.
>
> I think there are more possibly subtle changes around text rendering
> because bold fontface and inter-word spacing in the package {gridtext}
> happened to stop working, see the issue at
> https://github.com/wilkelab/gridtext/issues/24
> <https://github.com/wilkelab/gridtext/issues/24>.
> Turns out it is pretty hard
> to debug and to solve. Do you have some hints about other changes in grid
> that could explain so different behaviour?
>
> Many thanks and kind regards!
> Jan
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dr Paul Murrell