[Rd] makepredictcall

Sat Aug 13 18:52:21 CEST 2022

   Well, going to git blame (too lazy to remember how to do it in svn)
finds this commit

https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/4c800c6f3dd61a07c763af744f08b6f411b1f877

with the commit message " c74663 failed for symbol [example(censboot,
package="boot")] => be more careful"

  Going to ?boot::censboot and searching for predict() finds this fragment:

   t1 <- ns(d$thickness, df=4)
   cox <- coxph(Surv(d$time, d$status == 1) ~ t1+strata(d$ulcer))
   ind <- !duplicated(d$thickness)
   u <- d$thickness[!ind]
   eta <- cox$linear.predictors[!ind]
   sp <- smooth.spline(u, eta, df=20)
   th <- seq(from = 0.25, to = 10, by = 0.25)
   predict(sp, th)$y

which is exactly the use case that you identified, with "t1" as the
culprit. (It's definitely confusing that "t1" is called out in the code
comments, with no obvious referent ...)

  It has long been my opinion that the machinery of makepredictcall is
poorly documented (but of course I haven't done my part and submitted
documentation patches for consideration ...)

   cheers
    Ben Bolker

--
Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University