[Rd] Making CRAN memory access checks more accessible?

Bill Dunlap w||||@mwdun|@p @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 28 20:15:29 CET 2022

valgrind will detect some of the memory issues that UBSAN does.  Here is
how you can use valgrind with the gdb debugger on Linux.  Use apt-get to
get valgrind and gdb if you have not yet installed them (If you have
Windows, install Microsoft's 'wsl2' and Ubuntu Linux and do this in Ubuntu
windows.)

1. Configure your R build for valgrind as described in Writing R Extensions
section 4.3.2.
2. Run R with
    R --debugger=valgrind --debugger-args="--track-origins=yes --vgdb=full
--vgdb-error=0"
and any other R command line arguments you like (I often use --quiet and
--no-save).
You should see something like the following printed
  ==238== TO DEBUG THIS PROCESS USING GDB: start GDB like this
  ==238==   /path/to/gdb /home/bill/R-devel/R-build/bin/exec/R
  ==238== and then give GDB the following command
  ==238==   target remote |
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/valgrind/../../bin/vgdb --pid=238
  ==238== --pid is optional if only one valgrind process is running
3.  In another window run gdb with that path to .../exec/R as its only
command line argument.
4.  On my copy of Ubuntu 20.04, vgdb is not in /usr/lib/... but is in
/usr/bin so
   target remote | vgdb
at the (gdb) prompt generally starts vgdb, valgrind's client for gdb.  Set
any break points you would like then issue the
   continue
command.

At this point R in the first window should start running.  It will break to
the debugger when valgrind detects a problem or when any of your
breakpoints are hit.  Control-C in the R window will also break to the
debugger.

The usual gdb commands will work.  There are some extra "monitor" commands
supported
by vgdb.  E.g., at the (gdb) prompt
   monitor leak-check full
will describe all the memory leaks detected since the last time you asked
about them.
Look in

https://valgrind.org/docs/manual/mc-manual.html#mc-manual.monitor-commands
for other useful monitor commands.