[Rd] Floating point issue

Taras Zakharko t@r@@@z@kh@rko @end|ng |rom uzh@ch
Mon Jul 11 18:30:57 CEST 2022

To be pedantic, the C standard does not guarantee that long double offers more precision than double. If R’s internal FP/decimal conversion routines produce a different result on platforms that support Intel's 80-bit precision vs. platforms that don’t, I would classify this as a bug in R. Available precision can affect numerical properties of algorithms but should not affect things like decimal to binary or via versa conversion — it either produces the accurate enough number or it doesn’t.

As a side note, I agree with Andre that relying on Intel’s extended precision in this day an age is not a good idea. This is a legacy feature from over forty years ago, x86 CPUs have been using SSE instructions for floating point computation for over a decade. The x87 instructions are slow and prevent compiler optimisations. Overall, I believe that R would benefit from dropping this legacy cruft. Not that there are too many places where it is used from what I see…

Best,

— Taras Zakharko