[Rd] R 4.2.1 is released
pd@me@ @end|ng |rom cb@@dk
Thu Jun 23 09:55:57 CEST 2022
The build system rolled up R-4.2.1.tar.gz (codename "One Push-Up") this morning.
The list below details the changes in this release.
You can get the source code from
or wait for it to be mirrored at a CRAN site nearer to you.
Binaries for various platforms will appear in due course.
For the R Core Team,
These are the checksums (md5 and SHA-256) for the freshly created files, in case you wish
to check that they are uncorrupted:
MD5 (AUTHORS) = 320967884b547734d6279dedbc739dd4
MD5 (COPYING) = eb723b61539feef013de476e68b5c50a
MD5 (COPYING.LIB) = a6f89e2100d9b6cdffcea4f398e37343
MD5 (FAQ) = f593bc2137bcb005337630ca5611a26f
MD5 (INSTALL) = 7893f754308ca31f1ccf62055090ad7b
MD5 (NEWS) = 1004838de767cced995c375aae100afc
MD5 (NEWS.0) = bfcd7c147251b5474d96848c6f57e5a8
MD5 (NEWS.1) = eb78c4d053ec9c32b815cf0c2ebea801
MD5 (NEWS.2) = b38d94569700664205a76a7de836ba83
MD5 (NEWS.3) = e55ed2c8a547b827b46e08eb7137ba23
MD5 (R-latest.tar.gz) = d363458f20d011c9edf55c8c828af242
MD5 (README) = f468f281c919665e276a1b691decbbe6
MD5 (RESOURCES) = a79b9b338cab09bd665f6b62ac6f455b
MD5 (THANKS) = 45b6d2e88a6ecb5b24fa33a781351cd5
MD5 (VERSION-INFO.dcf) = 4a0d3c959d821eb56df62f39325c5506
MD5 (R-4/R-4.2.1.tar.gz) = d363458f20d011c9edf55c8c828af242
This is the relevant part of the NEWS file
CHANGES IN R 4.2.1:
* New function utils::findCRANmirror() to find out if a CRAN mirror
has been selected, otherwise fallback to the main site. This
behaves in the same way as tools::CRAN_package_db() and is
intended for packages wishing to access CRAN for purposes other
than installing packages.
The need for this was shown by a day when the main CRAN website
was offline and a dozen or so packages which had its URL
hardcoded failed their checks.
INSTALLATION on a UNIX-ALIKE:
* The libraries searched for by --with-blas (without a value) now
include BLIS (after OpenBLAS but before ATLAS). And on macOS,
the Accelerate framework (after ATLAS). (This is patterned after
the AX_BLAS macro from the Autoconf Archive.)
* The included LAPACK sources have been updated to 3.10.1.
* The (full path to) the command tidy to be used for HTML
validation can be set by environment variable R_TIDYCMD.
* Setting environment variable _R_CHECK_RD_VALIDATE_RD2HTML_ to a
false value will override R CMD check --as-cran and turn off HTML
validation. This provides a way to circumvent a problematic
The 2006 version that ships with macOS is always skipped.
* The undocumented legacy declarations of Sint, Sfloat, SINT_MAX
and SINT_MIN in header R.h are deprecated.
* fisher.test(d) no longer segfaults for "large" d; fixing PR#18336
by preventing/detecting an integer overflow reliably.
* tar(., files=*) now produces correctly the warning about invalid
uid or gid of files, fixing PR#18344, reported by Martin Morgan.
* tk_choose.files() with multi = FALSE misbehaved on paths
containing spaces (PR#18334) (regression introduced in R 4.0.0).
* sort(x, partial = ind, *) now works correctly notably for the
non-default na.last = FALSE or TRUE, fixing PR#18335 reported by
* Environment variable _R_CHECK_XREFS_REPOSITORIES_ is only used
for checking .Rd cross-references in R CMD check (as documented)
and not for other uses looking for a CRAN mirror.
* The search for a CRAN mirror when checking packages now uses
getOption("repos") if that specifies a CRAN mirror, even when it
does not also specify all three Bioconductor repositories (as was
* The HTML code generated by tools::Rd2HTML() has been improved to
pass tidy 5.8.0.
BUG FIXES on Windows:
* Writing to a clipboard connection works again, fixing a
regression in R 4.2.0 (PR#18332). Re-using a closed clipboard
connection longer issues a spurious warning about an ignored
* C function getlocale no longer attempts to query an unsupported
category from the OS, even when requested at R level, which may
cause crashes when R 4.2.0 (which uses UCRT) is embedded
(reported by Kevin Ushey).
* Accent keys now work in GraphApp Unicode windows, which are used
by Rgui whenever running in a multibyte locale (so also in UTF-8,
hence fixing a regression in R 4.2.0 for users of systems where R
4.1 used a single-byte locale).
* Completion in Rgui now works also with non-ASCII characters.
* Rgui no longer truncates usage information with --help.
* Text injection from external applications via SendInput now works
in GraphApp Unicode windows, fixing a regression in R 4.2.0 for
Rgui users of systems where R 4.1 used a single-byte locale but R
4.2.0 uses UTF-8.
* Performance of txtProgressBar() in Rgui when running in a
multi-byte locale has been improved (fixing a performance
regression in R 4.2.0 for users of systems where R 4.1 used a
* The script editor in Rgui now works also on systems using UTF-8
as the native encoding. Users of the script editor have to
convert their scripts with non-ASCII characters to UTF-8 before
reading them in R 4.2.1 or newer (on recent Windows where UTF-8
is used). This fixes a regression in R 4.2.0, which prevented
some operations with scripts when they contained non-ASCII
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Office: A 4.23
Email: pd.mes using cbs.dk Priv: PDalgd using gmail.com
More information about the R-devel