[Rd] [External] Re: svd() results should have a class

Fri Jun 24 02:22:40 CEST 2022

On 23/06/2022 8:07 p.m., Lenth, Russell V wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I'm not talking about using svd as a generic method. I am talking about a method FOR svd results, e.g. an S3 method like foo.svd(), for which there already exist other methods, say foo.default and foo.qr. Currently if I wanted to do
>
>      svdobj <- svd(x)
>      foo(svdobj)
>
> it would not dispatch correctly because there is no svd class. Instead, it would be handled by foo.list if it exists, and it is certainly not clear that foo.list would do the right thing.

I think this would be more convincing if you gave a real example.  You
can see the existing methods for the "qr" and "eigen" classes using

   methods(class = "qr")
   methods(class = "eigen")

When I do it, I think I'm only seeing methods from base packages, and
they are:

   kappa for qr
   solve for qr
   print for eigen

I think the default print method works fine for svd() results.
kappa.svd would probably make sense, but would need some thought:
calculating kappa on a matrix and using the help page for kappa to
naively calculate it from the svd() of that matrix give different results:

   > set.seed(123)
   > X <- matrix(rnorm(25), 5,5)
   > kappa(X)
   [1] 90.71283