[Rd] Stack imbalance warnings while using the grid package, in R 4.2

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jun 29 17:18:45 CEST 2022

On 6/29/22 16:53, Panagiotis Skintzos wrote:
> Hello to all.
>
> In ggiraph package, we are getting some warnings about "Stack
> imbalance in NextMethod" when we subclass a primitive grob and
> override the widthDetails function. This started to occur from R
> version 4.2 onward, in various platforms (linux, iOS, Windows).
>
> You can see the bug report, where I've added a minimal reprex:
> https://github.com/davidgohel/ggiraph/issues/224
>
> I've identified the issue in grid package. It occurs when calling
> grid.Call.graphics with C_moveTo, C_lineTo, C_lines, C_segments,
> C_arrows, C_polygon, C_path, C_circle, C_rect and C_raster at least.
> The relevant functions in grid.c have mismatches in protect/unprotect
> calls.
>

> As I see in the code diff for grid.c, between R 4.1 and R 4.2, one
> extra PROTECT call was added to the above functions (L_*) but the
> UNPROTECT call at the end of the functions was not updated.
> In other functions, like gridPoints for example, the UNPROTECT call
> has been updated, so the issue does not occur when overriding the
> pointsGrob.
>
> I can try to submit a patch if you wish, but perhaps there are other
> functions elsewhere with the same issue that need to be checked.

Thanks, yes, could you please send a patch for R-devel? So that it is
clear which PROTECTions you have in mind, and that they haven't been
fixed already in the meantime in R-devel (note that there have been
changes recently).

It doesn't matter if you don't fix them all.

> Hopefully this can be resolved for the next version.

Sure, PROTECT errors have very high priority.

Thanks
Tomas