[Rd] Using cairo on arm64 macOS

Jan Netík net|kj@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 16 13:38:39 CET 2022

Hi,

first, let me appreciate the efforts around "Apple Silicone" builds of R,
works like a charm! However, I have found recently that this build does not
have cairo in capabilities() and in turn I cannot use cairo_pdf device.
Intel build has cairo readily available, but M1 does not. I have done
various attempts on installing cairo using brew or
install.package("Cairo"); maybe the most preferable way is to follow
https://mac.r-project.org/bin/, but that also failed stating "architecture
aarch64 is not supported on os darwin20, only available architectures:
x86_64arm64". I have also tried downloading cairo from
https://mac.r-project.org/bin/darwin20/arm64/ and copying it into
opt/R/arm64, but with no success... Nor current devel R worked for me in
that issue.

I think that I overlooked something, maybe around installing cairo to
opts/R/arm64 (is it really mere copying?). In that case I would edit the
docs and websites around the Apple Silicone build to better clarify what
needs to be done, but I may be that cairo is just not yet supported.

Anyway many thank for looking into this!

Best,
Jan

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]