[Rd] R-devel: Fortran 90 and note on LAPACK

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Sun Mar 27 11:26:48 CEST 2022

On 24/03/2022 16:32, Avraham Adler wrote:
> Hello.
>
> In the current notes for R-devel [1] referring to LAPACK, it states
>
>> The included LAPACK sources have been updated to version 3.10.0, except for the four Fortran
>> 77 routines which 3.10.0 has re-implemented in Fortran 90 (where the older versions have been
>> retained as the R build process does not support Fortran 90)
>
> I am a bit confused as I know R supports F9x [2]. Moreover, an F90
> compiler seems to be the minimum requirement for R [3]. May I ask for
> clarification of this note, please?

You are seriously confused.  Reference [2] is about package
installation, not building R.  As R CMD INSTALL is almost entirely
written in R, it is necessarily not usable in the early stages of
building R such as compiling in src/modules/lapack.

We could have added support for .f90 files and Fortran modules to the R
build, but not in time for R 4.2.0.  The NEWS for R-devel (you linked to
that for 4.2.0alpha) has further information on future plans.

There are reports of bugs in two of the new LAPACK routines, another
reason not to use them in R 4.2.0.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk