[Rd] as.Date without "origin"

Wed Nov 2 23:32:19 CET 2022

Às 20:47 de 02/11/2022, Johannes Rauh escreveu:
> Dear all,
>
> I would throw in my vote to have origin = "1970-01-01" as a default in as.Date().  Why?  Well, in fact, the "converse" function as.numeric() does have an implicit default:
>
>> as.numeric(Sys.Date())
> [1] 19298
>
> In fact, as.numeric seems to not even have a method for class "Date", and so as.numeric() does not even have an argument "origin" or the like.
>
> In any case, when using Date objects, it may happen that the result is of clas numeric. For example:
>
>> ifelse(TRUE, Sys.Date(), Sys.Date() + 1)
> [1] 19298
>
> So, in order to transform the result back to class "Date" using as.Date(), I always need to remember the universal default origin 1970-01-01 and I need to write it out explicitly.
>
> I find that rather inconvenient, and so having the default origin as a default would make very much sense to me here.
>
> Of course, for that particular example, it would also help me if ifelse() would properly handle Date vectors.
>
> Best
> Johannes
>
>> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 02. November 2022 um 14:38 Uhr
>> Von: "Dan Dalthorp via R-devel" <r-devel using r-project.org>
>> An: "Spencer Graves" <spencer.graves using prodsyse.com>
>> Cc: "r-devel using r-project.org" <r-devel using r-project.org>
>> Betreff: Re: [Rd] as.Date without "origin"
>>
>> I don't see a compelling rationale for changing the default behavior as.Date to deviate from the wholly reasonable status quo of "as.Date will accept numeric data (the number of days since an epoch), but only if origin is supplied." That has been the expectation for a long, long time.
>>
>> In any case, the manual should match the behavior.
>>
>> -DHD

Hello,

ifelse does properly handle Date objects. From its documentation:

Usage
ifelse(test, yes, no)
[...]
Value
A vector of the same length and attributes (including dimensions and
"class") as test and data values from the values of yes or no.

In your example test = TRUE and yes = Sys.Date() so the return value is

class(ifelse(TRUE, Sys.Date(), Sys.Date() + 1))
# [1] "numeric"

class(ifelse(TRUE, Sys.Date(), Sys.Date() + 1L))
# [1] "numeric"

This is expected behavior.
I was expecting class "integer", not "numeric" but this too is
documented in ?Dates section Details 2nd paragraph.

It is intended that the date should be an integer, but this is not
enforced in the internal representation. Fractional days will be ignored
when printing. It is possible to produce fractional days via the mean
method or by adding or subtracting (see Ops.Date).

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas