[Rd] RTools40 Error - sh: line 1: gcc: command not found

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Nov 29 13:44:30 CET 2022

On 11/28/22 23:33, Gene Leynes wrote:
> Thanks. Not sure how I ended up on 40 instead of 42.
>
> After deleting the 40 version and installing the 42 version, the 42
> installer seemed to create path variables for 40. I just edited that
> however and the jsonlite test worked.

Rtools42 is not creating variables for Rtools40, so that shouldn't be
the cause.

You can have Rtools40 and Rtools42 both installed on the machine (if
needed, e.g. for older versions of R).

> I do think that it would be advisable to tell users to check the path and
> explain what result is desired there. Many users would benefit from knowing
> that they need R's executables and the RTools bin on their path and that
> they can add them via the *user *environment variables, which saves them
> from needing administrative permission (and is better anyway for system
> maintenance).
>
> However, it's less important now that I see that the installer handles it
> for you.

Right, the paths don't have to be set manually when using the defaults.
For other cases, please see

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/howto-R-4.2.html

Best
Tomas