[Rd] tools:: extracting pkg dependencies from DCF

Jan Gorecki j@goreck| @end|ng |rom w|t@edu@p|
Mon Oct 17 09:39:09 CEST 2022

Gabriel and Simon

I completely agree with what you are saying.
The thing is that obtaining recursive deps, all/most whatever, is already
well supported in core R. What is missing is just this single functionality
I am requesting.

If you will look into the branch you can see there is mirror.packages
function meant to mirror a slice of CRAN. It is doing exactly what you
described: package_dependencies; to obtain recursive deps, then download
all, etc.
I would love to have this function provided by core R as well, but we need
to start somewhere.

There are other use cases as well.
For example CI, where one wants to install all/most dependencies and then
run R CMD check. Then we don't worry about recursive deps are they will be
resolved automatically.
I don't think it's reasonable to force users to use 3rd party packages to
handle such a common and simple use case. Otherwise one has to hard code
deps in CI script. Not robust at all.

packages.dcf and repos.dcf makes all that way easier, and are solid base
for building customized orchestration like mirroring slice of CRAN.

Best regards
Jan