[Rd] Proposal to limit Internet access during package load

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Mon Sep 26 22:41:38 CEST 2022

On Mon, 26 Sept 2022 at 21:50, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urbanek using r-project.org> wrote:

> [snip]
> Sure, I fully agree that it would be a good first step, but I'm still waiting for examples ;).

Oh, you want me to actually name specific packages? I thought that
this was a well-established fact from your initial statement "I fully
agree, this a very common issue [...]", so I preferred to avoid
pointing fingers.

But of course you can start by taking a look at [1], where all
packages marked as "internet" or "cargo" are downloading stuff at
install time. There are some others that are too important to get rid
of, so I just build them with an Internet connection from time to
time. Or have them patched to avoid such downloads.

And others have been fixed after me opening an issue when a package
blows up when I try to build an RPM with it. But this is like playing
cat and mouse if this is not enforced somehow.

[1] https://github.com/Enchufa2/cran2copr/blob/master/excl-no-sysreqs.txt

--
Iñaki Úcar