[Rd] Proposal to limit Internet access during package load

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Tue Sep 27 10:14:09 CEST 2022

El mar., 27 sept. 2022 4:22, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> escribió:

> Regarding 'system' libraries: Packages like stringi and nloptr download the
> source of, respectively, libicu or libnlopt and build a library _if_ the
> library is not found locally.  If we outlaw this, more users may hit a
> brick
> wall because they cannot install system libraries (for lack of
> permissions),
> or don't know how to, or ...  These facilities were not added to run afoul
> of
> best practices -- they were added to help actual users. Something to keep
> in
> mind.

Yes, but then IMO Internet access should be explicitly enabled by the user
with a flag. By default, it should be disabled and packages on CRAN should
install as is.

Iñaki

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]