Funding freeeware (was: R-beta: help in sept) (fwd)

George White gwhite at bodnext.bio.dfo.ca
Thu Jan 29 18:57:53 CET 1998

There needs to be more recognition in the academic community of the
importance of contributions to widely used software.  While many
organizations are encouraging software development if it generates
revenue, it is harder to measure the value of software that you
give away.  It is often hard to measure the number of users, so unless
they mention you in citations, there is little hard evidence to show
the value of your contribution.

There are two ways I "pay" for software, but one is easy to measure while
the other is "hidden".  Some software is good enough that I'm willing to
pay for it, but lots more software that is not as polished but useful if I
spend some time hacking at it (and some that never does quite work
despite my efforts!).  Not only is is hard for your boss/dean to see
how much effort I'm willing to "spend" so I can use your program, but
even if she could see this, she wouldn't know if the effort was high
because your program was useful or just poorly done.  It doesn't help
to ask people to send letters to the boss, as I can do that without any
real investment of time or money.

I think what would work is for various academic/professional organizations
to create awards and other forms of recognition for contributions in the
form of software.  There would need to be nominations and a selection
panel.  Not only would this benefit authors, it would also help users
identify useful tools.  The problem is that you might encounter opposition
from some commercial vendors who don't want more people taking R
seriously.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <WhiteG at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
  Bedford Inst. of Oceanography, Nova Scotia, Canada.  tel: 902.426.8509