[R] Data storage in R vs. S

Ross Ihaka ihaka at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 20 23:43:53 CEST 1999

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Brahm, David wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >    Another newbie question; I only just now downloaded and tried the R
> > software.  My big initial objection is the way R stores the entire working
> > database in one file between sessions.  In S, I have always stored many
> > large parallel objects in a database (e.g. stock-by-date matrices of close,
> > high, low, volume, ...), knowing that S would only read the one or two files
> > I wanted to work with at any given time.  Also, I'd attach and detach many
> > different databases (e.g. one per year's worth of data).  I don't think R
> > can handle that, and I'd guess that scanning a lot of ASCII files each time
> > would be slow.  Can anybody share their experience with large datasets?  Are
> > the developers of R planning to eventually change the way data is stored to
> > be more like S?
>
> I think in the moderately distant future we would like to save things
> automatically in separate files with some degree of caching, but this is
> not at all straightforward because of the lexical scoping rules.
>
> At the moment you can do this by hand, by saving the data sets in
> binary format using save(), loading them using load(), and deleting them
> with rm() when not in use. It should also be possible to put them in a
> package so that they don't ever end up in the global environment and won't
> be saved in your workspace accidentally. Making each one into a package
> would also allow autoload()ing.

This is actually quite close (two months?).  We are building the
infrastructure for adding external databases which can be attached in the
S fashion. One of the class of external data base will be that of S .Data
directories.  In addition I'd like to see zip files containing individual
objects and perhaps an R ".Data" directory containing a machine
independent version of data files (i.e. written with xdr).

	Ross

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch