[R] Wanted: online Introduction to R

Tim McDonough Tim_McDonough at aa.com
Fri Nov 12 22:13:43 CET 1999

** High Priority **

Apologies to all for this brief, slightly off-topic comment, but I think that it is important for folks who may only be familiar with commercially developed software, to understand that some of the cultural norms of the exchange economy simply do not apply to global computer mediated collaboration (CMC) projects like R. It is my hope that these comments may assist in coming to a better appreciation of how CMC operates and that a different set of expectations will be needed to truly enjoy participation in the process, even if only as a common user like myself.

Welcome to the world of open-source. The code itself is freely offered by a "gift-giving" culture to the world. The value-added products and services that we normally associate with software, like manuals, shrink-wrapped distributions (CDs), and product support, mostly all belong to the "exchange" economy. There really is a nice balance though between the gift-giving and exchange worlds. The linux community has "standardized" its free documentation somewhat into the collection of HOWTO documents but applications like R may never be able to achieve the critical mass of users to do the same. As R matures, common users like myself may hope that something like the "Idiot's Guides" or the O'Reilly tomes may one day appear for R.

Meanwhile, I suggest that folks who may not be able to live on this frontier, and I can think of many compelling reasons for avoiding the frontier, should probably consider using only the purely exchange economy manifestations of this technology like the commercial distributions of S-PLUS. One advantage of using only the commercial versions is that one obtains the privilege of hammering on the vendor for not delivering what was promised. Of course this naturally makes the vendors somewhat gun-shy and there is an argument that suggests that it stifles innovation.

In the wild, wild west of open-source, rapid and frequent revisions and releases occur without fear of contract breach of any sort. This churn results in a remarkably steady flow of innovation. For some things I choose purely exchange economy products, for others, the open-source technology is preferred. One of the nice things about open-source is that if you think you can do a better job of it than what you see out there now, go for it. We'll all be cheering you on and hoping for your success. Who knows, someday you might be the person of whom folks around the world will ask, "Hey, isn't that the person who ... ?" "Yeah, wow, that's who it is!"

The key to truly appreciating and enjoying the open-source world is to remember that this is indeed a different culture, where the rules are very different than in the exchange economy. If bugs are encountered it is appropriate, and even expected that they be reported to the community. It is entirely inappropriate however, and actually quite fruitless, to complain about or criticize the work without some constructive motive. It is best to learn to roll with the punches. I maintain that swearing profusely at one's computer in the privacy of one's home or office is still appropriate but directing such anger or frustration at the gift-givers is an unconscionable offense. The best advice that I can offer to open-source newbies is to not expect any promises about product performance and just try to revel in the parts of the code that actually work. Above all, have fun with it, especially if such fun is the result of your having some feature-laden open-source code that completely blows away some of the antiquated commercial software with which your colleagues are struggling.

To all who have contributed to R thus far, and to all who will carry the torch into the future, please accept my sincere gratitude for the hard work that you have done. You can all be assured that the appreciation for your open-source contributions by the users around the globe will never be for sale. It is an appreciation that the emperors of the exchange culture like Bill Gates can only sigh for in vain.

Cheers,
Tim McDonough
Sr. Analyst
American Airlines HDQ