[R] Things I don't understand about the graphics interface

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 20 08:45:04 CEST 2000

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, James Edward Marca wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 10:36:53AM -0400 or thereabouts, Griffith Feeney wrote:
> > I don't have much experience with this, but I think you may want eps for
> > use in TeX documents. You might want to have a look at
> >
> > Tex Unbound : Latex and Tex Strategies for Fonts, Graphics, & More
> >
> > Though the book as a whole may be overkill for your needs, it shows how to
> > incorporate graphics files in TeX documents (don't have the book with me
> > here, so can't give page refs).
> >

> I personally swear by the LaTeX Companion and the LaTeX Graphics companion,
> both published by Addison Wesley.  The latter has lots of information on
> the inclusion of graphics, and on my personal favorite, pstricks.  If
> you are worried about text redering, you could always generate your
> R figs without text or labels, then add that stuff in with pstricks
> commands.  Messy, but doable.  I agree with Prof. Ripley's comments that
> moderately scaled ps output from R looks pretty good by itself.  My only
> problem is with matching up the fonts (I like Knuth's concrete).

If you don't want to spend money, Keith Reckdahl's Using EPS in
LaTeX documents is freely available on the CTAN sites, and pretty
comprehensive.

> My ideal case would be for R to produce pstricks output, so that the
> LaTeX processing pass could embed the fonts that match the rest of the
> document.  Maybe one day I will try to write that.
>
> As far as I know, there isn't an easy way to embed TeX fonts like
> concrete and computer modern into R output, without external processing.
> Anyone know differently?

At present the PostScript device is limited to the families that are
pre-specified.  I would prefer to allow user-specified families there,
but the afm files will have to be available.  (They are for the
Knuth fonts, but often not installed.)  We would need to check that the
afm-reader is robust enough as it was written for Adobe afm files
(or at least the kern-handling part by me was).

> I've never used LyX, but LaTeX is great all by itself.  For windows,
> I recommend www.miktex.org.  Solid as a rock, and pretty good links
> to complete setups, with NTEmacs or WinEdt.

For those who want to share installations or cross-work with Unix, fptex is
preferable.  The TexLive5 CD (imminent, and images are downloadble now) has
everything you need for all these systems.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch