[R] Re: (D)COM

Thomas Baier baier at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jan 28 23:45:06 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Amy C. Peng <apeng at emmes.com>
To: <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>; <baier at ci.tuwien.ac.at>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 21:11
Subject: (D)COM

> Here are two questions regarding use of (D)COM:
>
> 1)  In the documentation it says to fire up R using the Init member of
> StatConnector, i.e., x.Init("R"), where x is an instance of StatConnector.
> However, I need to increase the heap memory before I start up R.  Is there
> any way to incorporate the "--vsize" command line options using Init?
At the moment, you have to use environment settings for this purpose. Adding support for
startup paramters is planned for future releases.

> 2)  How do I use the AddGraphicsDevice member of StatConnector?  (I am
> trying to use this in Excel).  I assume that AddGraphicsDevice will allow
> me to open up an R graphics window while still in Excel?  I tried to create
> an instance of IStatConnectorGraphicsDevice to use as input for
> AddGraphicsDevice, but I got a compiler error message that said "Invalid
> use of New keyword".
The interface already contains functions like "AddGraphicsDevice" for future extensions.
At the moment only the Character device can be used (there is an active X control for this
purpose). An Active X control for graphics output will be available hopefully in the next
version.

> 3)  I noticed that if I use the Evaluate member of StatConnector to create
> a plot, such as x.Evaluate("plot(1:10,1:10"), where x as an instance of
> StatConnector, it opens up an R graphics device for me, but the graphics
> device disappears after a few seconds.  How can I control the graphics
> device to make it stay awhile until I'm ready for it to go away?
The sample shuts down the R server on completion without waiting. This will cause the
graphics device to disappear. Just keep the server alive as long as you want the window
open. It will stay open as long as the server is alive and the window is not closed
explicitly (either by user or program action).

> By the way, is there more documentation available on the members used in
> StatConnector?  I've been using the VBE Object Browser to look up
> information on classes, types, subs and functions, but this still leaves me
> a little confused ...
At the moment, there is no documentation but the readme in the distribution directory on
CRAN and the sample, but this sample covers everything possible at the moment. As for the
next version, some more documentation will be available.

Thomas

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch