[R] pacf, round three

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Mon Jun 26 16:36:37 CEST 2000

I am the author of the offending help page.  I am sorry that you find
it ambiguous, but sending three long messages on a rather fine point of
interpretation risks exhausting the interest in the topic.

If I may reiterate Brian's response to your original message, solving
the Yule-Walker equations is a standard method for fitting autoregressive
models, and is the default method for the ar() function.  It is not clear,
to me, why you thought that OLS was used instead, unless you object to
the use of the word "fit" in this context.

If it will help, perhaps the help page could be changed to

     The partial correlation coefficient is estimated by fitting
     autoregressive models of successively higher orders up to
     `lag.max', by the Yule-Walker method (see ar).

Martyn

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch