[R] About Omega in pda()

Damien BERLEMONT Damien.Berlemont at ccf.fr
Thu May 4 18:29:02 CEST 2000

** High Priority **

Hello R users

My issue is both theorical and technical.

I would like to run a penalised discriminant analysis with the fda() function, but I don't know all the details of splines theory.
I try on the example of the phonems from the article "Penalised Discriminant Analysis" of Hastie, Buja and Tibshirani 1994 : 5 groups and 256 variables.
The 256 variables are from the discretisation of log-periodogram. Consequently, we want the scores to be smoothed by the frequency.
in continuus writing, J(beta)= integral of the square second derivative of beta upon the frequencies
and J(beta)=(beta)^T*OMEGA*beta

No function for producing one dimensional penalty object is providing with gen.ridge function..

What is the best (and more efficient) function to use to fit OMEGA ? I have ever tried to use the function ssanova in the gss package but the solution of my program is not symetrical : I am definitly wrong in my approach.

Thank you in advance for the users of mda package that would answer me.

Damien Berlemont
student at :  DESS Methodes Scientifiques de Gestion - Paris-X Nanterre
Damien.Berlemont at ccf.fr

 Ce message est strictement confidentiel. Son integrite n'est pas assuree sur Internet. Le contenu de ce message ne peut engager la responsabilite du Credit Commercial de France. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire du message, merci d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur et de le detruire.

 This message is strictly confidential. Integrity is not guaranteed through Internet. The content of this message does not bind Credit commercial de France in any way.  If you are not the intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender immediately and delete it.