[R] a question about sgeostat

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 29 19:24:24 CEST 2000

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Matthew Norton wrote:

> I know hese sorts of questions should be addressed directly to the author of
> the extensions, but since I'm in a bit of a rush, I thought I'd fire this
> out to the group at large.  Furthermore, one of the problems I'm having
> seems to be indenpendent of the packages themselves (I think, but I'm not
> sure).

The first thing to establish is theat R CMD check works for all the
packages here. If you do that when you install them, you save a lot
of future bother.  I suspect that it not the case for your installations.

> When I try to load the library sgeostat, it tries to load the tripack
> library, but seems to fail.  If I try to load the tripack library first, it
> seems to be unhappy as well, but sgeostat then loads without trouble.  I'll
> give you examples:
>

> > library(sgeostat)
> Error in library.dynam("tripack") : dynamic library `tripack' not found
> >library(tripack)
> >

>   ...............  or
>
> > library(tripack)
> Error in library.dynam("tripack") : dynamic library `tripack' not found
> > library(sgeostat)
> >

> Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be here?

No, but it is specific to your system.  Did you compile the package
yourself?  If so, were there any compile warnings?  The first thing to
check is if the tripack/libs/tripack.so is actually there. If not,
misled, as loading a package a second time in circumstances like this
often appears to succeed, and in fact does nothing.

> The second little problem I've been running across is the following.  The
> function dist() is included in the sgeostat library, and at times after
> I've been working away for some time in R, all of a sudden I'm informed
> that "the function dist() is not found".  However, if I type:

dist in mva, not sgeostat.  What informs you?  Does example(dist) work,
for example?

> >dist
>
> I get a list of all the source code in the function, which tells me that
> the library is still loaded into memory.  Furthermore, typing
> ">library(sgeostat)" doesn't seem to reload the library and function.

It will not reload anything that is already loaded (it thinks).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch