[R] Session logging in Windows98?

BXC (Bendix Carstensen) bxc at novonordisk.com
Fri Nov 24 15:42:49 CET 2000

I think Brian is missing what the point is here.
When working on a dataset in R, an important result is a fairly short
piece of R-code that will do what you want to be done, when submitted in
batch.
That will typically be of magnitude about 2-5% of the lines that you
actually
do on the console. Sitting at the console you will typically know, when the
next
5 commands you recall and paste etc. is IT.
So at that point you would like to switch a tee() on, perhaps
even with the facility to write the total session to one file and only the
commands to another.

Correct Brian, we can choose the manual way and scroll up the screen
after the five lines, grab the output and save it to a file.
And we can choose to take the .Rhistory and remove 98% of its contents
to get what we are after. Which is what we to now, but
automation is a great thing, now that we have this computer sitting in
front of us...

Bendix

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, W. T. Woodard wrote:
>
> > The suggested cut-and-paste requires laborious multiple
> > cut-and-pastes  for long sessions extending over multiple screens.
>
> For the record, that's completely incorrect.
>
> >  Will the new 1.2.0 menu item permit dumping the entire
> > interaction buffer to the clipboard, or only a single screen?
>
> Neither.  It will save the whole console buffer, or whatever is
> highlighted, to a *file*.
>
> > On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Prof Brian D Ripley wrote:
> > >With 1.1.1, use cut-and-paste.  With 1.2.0 there will be a
> menu item to do
> > >so.
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, W. T. Woodard wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to log all console I/O for an entire session
> while maintaining
> > > normal console I/O. I'm working in Windows98, RGui,
> R1.1.1. The sink()
> > > function is not the answer since it diverts output from
> the console. In
> > the
> > > RFAQ I see references to "...save the contents of the
> interaction buffer
> > > a file..." and in the R-Help Archive "...just save the
> console output...".
> > > I guess I've missed something somewhere, so I'd
> appreciate it someone
> > could
>
> I think you missed the menus, although I find this incredible.
> Now you know how to do cut-and-paste in Windows, I hope it will help
> you use other applications too.
>
> > > tell me (a) how to save the contents of the interaction
> buffer, or (b) how
> > > to save the console output.

----------------------
Bendix Carstensen