FW: [R] boxplot grouped by two variables: general issue

Jens Oehlschlägel jens.oehlschlaegel at bbdo-interone.de
Mon Nov 27 17:15:36 CET 2000

Dear Ross,

> > a) Any plans to implement trellis?
>
> 	Yes, in fact work is in progress.  Paul Murrell is working on
> 	generalized layout facilities which will provide the necessary
> 	support for multipanel conditioning (and more).  It is probably
> 	premature to talk about a time frame for this, but can report
> 	that I have seen trellis-like plots on Paul's screen.
>
> 	Of course, layout support is just the low-level part of trellis,
> 	but I think the higher level parts could come comparatively
> 	quickly once the layout support is in place.  (Issues are things
> 	like shingles and banking).

great news

> > b) Are there any other solutions in R which offer simple trellis
> > functionality?
>
> 	Deepayan Sarkar has been working on modifications to coplot
> 	to make it more trellis-like.  This could well be placed over
> 	Paul's layout code at some point.
>
> > c) Do you think, attacking these problems leads to
> reinventing trellis with
> > all it's complexity?
> >
> > If the answers turn out to be c(a=NO,b=NO,c=NO) I would
> like  to ask in more
> > detail:
> >
> > Is it possible to write plot functions to properly behave
> as high level AND
> > as panel functions?
>
> 	I want to look issues like this.  Some kind of partitioning of
> 	functionality is clearly needed.  It should be possible to
> 	access plots at a variety of levels
>
> 	 (i)	High level,
> 	 (ii)	Purely computational (no plotting).
> 		Some methods accept a plot=FALSE argument.
>
> 	In addition, it seems like we need:
>
> 	 (iii)	an intermediate level which allows the embedding
> 		of plots within other plots.
>
> 	Examples of this last are trellis panels and panels of plots
> 	superimposed on maps.
>
> > Are there any issues that NEED to be addressed beyond 1) to 3) ?
> > Any recommendations? Any related work in progress? Any volunteers?
>
> 	A useful contribution would be a look at how to package the
> 	functionality of the higher levels of trellis.	There
> are general
> 	issues of compatibility and extension, as well as specific
> 	functionality that needs to be provided.  The "for the record"
> 	sections of Cleveland's latest book are a good source for
> 	the latter.

I currently have no access to an actual version of trellis as to get ideas
of what might be necessary, so I do not feel in a good position to do that.
However that might change soon. Do you think this work should be done after
Paul's generalized layout facilities oder parallel to it?

Another area of standardization/modularization I am thinking about concerns
the variety of data import/export methods we have. Will send this soon to
r-devel. I hope it is OK to think loud about all this even if I finally
might not be the one who feels able to code it. BTW, I feel better prepared
to help with the data import/export issues, as I already invested some time
in that.

Regards

Jens

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"