[R] Units

Michael Hart mhart at terrigal.net.au
Sat Sep 23 11:18:54 CEST 2000

Thanks you Professor Ripley for your very fast reply.  Well I hope I haven't
done anything wrong in my code.  Yes I did mean spec.ar .  I hope only the
values plotted are on a log scale and the internal values in the spec object
are not because I pick them out and use them for other things.  I had told
the plot function I don't want log scale.  Here is the code

  tds <- Feed me my Data Please

  cat("Number of data points = ",length(tds),"\n")
  if(inval) {
    tds <- na.omit.ts(na.contiguous(tds))
    cat("Processing",length(tds) ,"Contiguous Valid points.\n")
  }
  spt <- spec.ar(ar.yw(tds,aic=aicv,order.max=orderv), plot = FALSE)
  cat(spt$method, "generated\n")
  #
  # display the spectra
  plot(spt,log=c("no"),main=paste(nser,spt$method,sep = "\n"))

I hope this gives the true linear amplitude of the spectral density and I
also hope the internal values in the spt variable also represent the linear
values at each frequency.

I guess the "detail" is what is confusing to me.  It says that "The spectrum
here is defined with scaling 1/frequenxy(x)".  Gven that 'x' is a time
series (a sequence of numbers evenly sampled in time - or an array of
numbers) I do not know what 1/frequency(x) means.   Further more I do not
know if this scaling refers to the X axis or the Y axis.  (I had previously
assumed it was the X axis but your comments suggest if may be the scaling of
the amplitude of the spectra and not the frequency of the spectra)  Does
this mean that the amplitude of the power spectra is scaled on the basis of
what frequency that component of signal falls into, given that 'x' is an
array.  [i.e. the scaling in any one graph changes across the band]??  I
hope not because this would throw out all my other calculations.

While you may argue that units are not relevant I don't have that luxery as
I have to write a report and the people who want the data (i.e. who are
paying my wages and hence indirectly for my family) want to know the units.
Furthermore the units are dependant on the definition of the spectral
density (and how it is calculated).

kind regards

Michael