[R] PICT output?

M. Edward Borasky znmeb at aracnet.com
Mon Apr 2 01:49:22 CEST 2001

In fact, I am doing the Linux "png" output using "bitmap", "png16",
actually, with a resolution of 600 dpi. They look great on the screen, but
the Windows printer drivers translate them to something grainy and not at
all attractive. My recollection is that the biggest ones are about 90 KBytes
each at this resolution, and 1/4 that at 300 dpi. And yes, the *Linux*
viewers, at least the built-in ones, don't reproduce them as a single page
but just a small chunk of a page; you have to use a viewer with scrollbars
and zoom capability. That's not a problem for this application, because the
person viewing the pictures will *always* have a Windows system.

I discussed these issues a while back. My original design created ".eps"
output files, but I couldn't insert them as pictures in a Word document. So
I tried *all* the other possibilities on Linux before settling on "png" as
the most portable. If Linux R had ".emf" output, I would use that. But it
doesn't, and given my time constraints I did not have the option of
implementing a driver, and even if I did, it would remain proprietary to my
employer, and would not be contributable to the R community as a result.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
http://www.borasky-research.net  http://www.aracnet.com/~znmeb
mailto:znmeb at borasky-research.com  mailto:znmeb at aracnet.com

If there's nothing to astrology, how come so many famous men were born on
holidays?

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch