[R] newbie list

Ko-Kang Wang Ko-Kang at xtra.co.nz
Thu Aug 30 09:44:46 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philippe Grosjean" <phgrosje at ulb.ac.be>
To: <R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 6:53 PM
Subject: RE: [R] newbie list

> I agree. My idea is that writing R complements for statistics textbooks
> everybody use should be the best approach for decreasing learning curve of
> newbies. Personnally, I learned bases of R and R programming without
asking
> a single question to experts thanks to the well-known books MASS and its R
> complement and with S programming. Of course, R complement for MASS was
not
> so difficult to write because MASS deals with Splus that is very close to
R.
> Nevertheless, I am shure R complements showing how to implement in R
> analyses presented in some major statistical textbooks would be the best
way
> to teach newbies that already use these books. The key question is: who
will
> write these R complements... are there any volunteer over there?

I personally found that by reading the examples within R is very useful
(however one must "know" the exact function he/she wants to use in order to
call up the relevant documentation and see the example).  This is how I
learnt R.  Although sometimes if I am unsure which function I should use,
I'll go to the HTML version, display everything, then use the browser's
search ability by typing in the English name of the whatever I want to use
(e.g. Multivariate Analysis).

I am currently teaching (or trying/pretend to) my fellow Software
Developers' Klub members R.  I am using PowerPoint slides and since most of
them have practically no statistics experience before, I have been using
very simple words and lots of examples.  I may put up these slides for
public use later on when they are ready.

Cheers,

Ko-Kang Wang

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang
Head of Statistical Analysis Division