[R] newbie list

David Lucy dlucy at maths.ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 10:49:59 CEST 2001

On 30 Aug 2001, John Verzani wrote:

> I've been working on some notes for using R in an introductory
> statistics course and was planning on contributing them to CRAN once
> I've used them in a course this semester. However, if anyone wants to
> see what I have right now, I would be glad to share them. The
> url for the notes is:
>
> http://www.math.csi.cuny.edu/Statistics/R/simpleR
>
> Links to a PDF version and some datasets are available from here as
> well. Any  feedback is, of course, most welcome.
>
> --John

John,

Had a look through it and it's pretty good - some of the equations don't work
too well in HTML but are fine in the .pdf - excellent basic tutorial, I like the
idea of integrating the codeing examples with the statistics as so many
non-statistics students are fine with pen and paper, but dry up completely when
it comes to using a machine to do the calculation for them. This is bad enough
with SPSS, where they tend to just accept the entire 60 pages of output and
replicate it in their reports - few (none actually) of them pluck up the courage
to use R which would give them a far more suitable environment for their
analysees. I have reservations about teaching them about pie charts though
(unless they're management students of course).

Dave.

**  Dr. David Lucy                                                  **
**  Joseph Bell Centre for Forensic Statistics and Legal Reasoning  **
**  Department of Mathematics and Statistics                        **
**  The University of Edinburgh                                     **
**  James Clerk Maxwell Building                                    **
**  King's Buildings                                                **
**  Mayfield Road                                                   **
**  Edinburgh                                                       **
**  EH9 3JZ                                                         **
**                                                                  **
**  tel: 0131 650 5057                                              **
**  extension: 505057                                               **
**  e-mail: dlucy at maths.ed.ac.uk                                    **
**  Truncated address:                                              **
**  Dr. David Lucy                                                  **
**  Department of Mathematics                                       **
**  JCMB                                                            **
**  King's Buildings                                                **
**  Edinburgh University                                            **
**  Edinburgh                                                       **
**  EH9 3JZ                                                         **