[R] imagenrgb: Function to display RGB images in R

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil.kjernsmo at astro.uio.no
Fri Aug 31 13:23:36 CEST 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

>Matlab, Mathematica, Mathcad and probably many others have such kind of
>functionnality... why not R?

Somebody has to write the code.... :-)

Being an astronomer, I recognize that R lacks many of the features that
the software the rest of the Institute uses.

However, having realized the power of R, I'm confident that R can be used
as a framework for making better software than what currently exists.

There are three ways of doing this:
1) You write the code yourself,
2) You pay somebody to do it, or
3) You convince somebody it is really, really cool.
Since everybody has got things they feel are very interesting, the last
point doesn't happen very often.

And you bet, I would rather write thousands of lines of R code than go
back to IDL, which is what the rest of the folks around here are using.
So, if I were the kind of astronomer who reduced CCD data, I would write
lots of code for that purpose, and thereby extend R's capabilities in
that direction. But I'm not, I'm the kind of astronomer who inadvertly,
without any significant training, happened to end up using statistics...
:-)

I have been toying with the idea to make a wrapper around FFTW several
times <URL:http://www.fftw.org/>, but I have found that I can't defend
spending the time on it at this point, since the filters I have needed
have been very, very simple. But I'd surely like to do it...

So, if you need to view RGB images, you need to write the code, or you
need to find somebody willing to do it. Also, there is a lot of Free
Software out there for the purpose, and sharing is wonderful, but still
somebody has to do it.

I think Agustin has set a good example and a good starting point.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Graduate astronomy-student                    Problems worthy of attack

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch