[R] system time is 5 hours off in Windows

Setzer.Woodrow@epamail.epa.gov Setzer.Woodrow at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Jan 22 16:42:27 CET 2001

I thought of the dual boot problem, but this is not a dual boot machine.
In any case, at least in earlier versions of Linux and Win 95, the problem
is that Windows wants to take the system clock literally as local time.  At
least the Red Hat distribution allows you to tell it the time zone for the
system clock.

It does look like this is a problem with my setup, though, since no one
else has reported a similar problem.  Thanks.

R. Woodrow Setzer, Jr.                                            Phone:
(919) 541-0128
Experimental Toxicology Division                       Fax:  (919) 541-5394
Pharmacokinetics Branch
NHEERL MD-74; US EPA; RTP, NC 27711

                    Prof Brian D
                    Ripley               To:     Woodrow Setzer/RTP/USEPA/US at EPA
                    <ripley at stats        cc:
                    .ox.ac.uk>           Subject:     Re: [R] system time is 5 hours off in Windows
                    Sent by:
                    ripley at auk.st
                    ats

                    01/19/2001
                    06:44 PM

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Prof Brian D Ripley wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 Setzer.Woodrow at epamail.epa.gov wrote:
>
> > Am I missing a configuration step?  The value returned by date() and
> > Sys.time() is five hours later than the system time.  Furthermore,
>
> That I have not seen.  Entirely possible, given Windows bugs. I am really
> sick of having to correct their mistakes in standard C library functions
> in this area.

To confirm, if I set my NT4 computer to that time zone, it reports
Eastern Daylight Time as the time zone (rather than GB Daylight Time)
but Windows and R do agree on the time.

Looks like a peculiarity of your setup. If it were common I would be
suprised that it had not been reported before. (Some people are all to keen
to report non-bugs.)   I seem to remember there are issues on PCs about
running clocks on UTC or local time that surface if they are dualbootable
(Windows/Linux).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch