[R] Trouble with the memory allocation

Laurent Gautier laurent at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Jul 16 17:37:44 CEST 2001

Prof Brian D Ripley wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Laurent Gautier wrote:
>

> > So far this everything seemed to go this way (I saw the size of my
> > processes growing when I was using big objects and
> > so on). Howver recently I had trouble with the memory. It seems there is
> > a limit of about 1,2 Go, beyond which R starts
> > to send memory allocation error messages...  not consistent with the
> > memory still available
> > (like 'Error: cannot allocate vector of size 125382 Kb', while there
> > still about 17Go free).
>
> Is this compiled as 32-bit or 64-bit process?

This was compiled with the gnu compilers suite (gcc, g77, f77 and gmake). If
I remember well,
gcc only compile 32 bits stuff (but I may be completely wrong)

>  And are there any
> per-process limits set?  A 32-bit process will (by definition) have a
> 4Gb limit, and may well have 2Gb or less depending how the malloc is
> organised.

Mmmmh....
I just tried a quick recursive perl hack and it seems the memory limit for a
process is around 1.7Go...

I also talked to one of system administrators here, and he is not aware of
malloc specifc organisation, neither of a per-process limit (and the man page
for malloc does not tell me more)...

Laurent

--
Laurent Gautier                 CBS, Building 208, DTU
PhD. Student                    D-2800 Lyngby,Denmark