[R] Append/merge

Debra Taylor debrat at bestweb.net
Thu Jul 19 17:07:29 CEST 2001

I have a question about stacking datasets.

I have 40 stata datasets that have exactly the same number of variables,
with the same names (~420k rows, 8 columns).

The datasets are relatively large ~ 15 megs.

If they were text files a linux "cat file1 file2 >> combo" sort of
strategy would work.

I've considered using a merge command, but I don't want any records
merged, only appended. Also, I don't want any variables to be renamed.
Given there unique nature, using a simple
merge(read.dta('file1'),read.dta('file2')) would give me (I think) what
I am looking for but seems incredibly inefficient.

There are a number of ways I could approach this all of which involve a
non-R solution.

Does somebody have an R solution in mind?

Thanks in advance,

Debra Taylor