[R] R Function Guide

freud@starpower.net freud at starpower.net
Wed Jun 6 05:38:11 CEST 2001

I was wondering if there was anything for R like the function guide
provided by insightful for S-Plus at the url below:

http://www.insightful.com/resources/fguide.html

What makes if particularly appealing is the organization of
functions by class.

If there is not something like this for R, I think it would be a great
addition to the R documentation.  It would provide an easy way to
identify an available function for a particular category of analysis
and thus facilitate viewing the help pages for the appropriate
function or functions--particularly if this were available for not just
base packages, but contributed packages as well.  Personally, I
find the biggest weakness of the current help system is the fact
that I must know the name of a function in advance to request help
on some analysis or proceedure.  Would be nice to start with a
general idea, category, class, or set of proceedures and move to a
list of related functions.

Extending the original idea, wouldn't it be great if there were a list
as described above that, in addition to listing functions by
category, also provided package information, availability, version,
etc for the listed functions.

I recognize that there is probably some overlap with the S-Plus
guide, and that it in itself is probably a good reference, or at least a
nice starting point for a simliar R guide.  However, I also suspect
that quite a lot of the S-Plus functionality listed is not yet
implemented in R.  Perhaps I am wrong.
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch