[R] R for Windows

Richard Condit rick at eno.princeton.edu
Mon Jun 11 05:34:26 CEST 2001

I've been a R user on Windows for about 8 months now, and I'm going to put
in a plug for the Windows version.   I'll be teaching a workshop in
statistics and data analysis next month to a group of scientists from
developing countries  South Asia, Latin America, and Africa.  The
institutions these scientists come from do not have the resources to
purchase expensive software or run large computer systems.  So they all use
PCs, and they all use Windows.  R for Windows is a marvelous resource for
this group.

I had some experience last year with S+ when I discovered R.  I downloaded
R for Windows on my own, consulting no one else who had heard of R, only
reading the instructions posted at the website.  My personal experience was
the following: everything worked perfectly.  I first downloaded R1020, then
1022, and later some other packages.  In all cases, the download worked the
first time, the HTML help worked immediately, and every function I have
tried works as described.  Sure, in some cases the help section can be
brief and cryptic, but with enough experimentation, the functions work.

So my plug is that R for Windows is a great system  sophisticated,
complete, fairly easy-to-use, and free.  For many scientists outside the
US, Europe, or Japan, it may be the best resource available.   I appreciate
immensely the time and effort many people have put into creating R and
making it available for Windows.

Richard Condit
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
Panama