[R] How do I change the editor in R command window?

Rasmus E. Benestad rasmus.benestad at dnmi.no
Tue Mar 27 08:30:36 CEST 2001

Dear R-help,

I have started using R on my Linux box (Debian), and I have some
problems with setting the editor/keyboard for R. The
For instance, arrow-up gives "^[[A", and delete gives "^H". I have a
Norwegian keyboard, but that doesn't cause any
problems for editors like emacs. Could you advice me on how I can set
the editor for R right? I have tried option(editor="emacs")
and setenv R_EDITOR=emacs, but without any effect.

Yours sincerely Rasmus Benestad

Rasmus E. Benestad, D.Phil, GradInstP,  The Norwegian Meteorological Institute
rasmus.benestad at dnmi.no             http://home.enitel.no/benestad/rasmus.html
phone: (+47) 22 96 31 70   mobile: (+47) 99 45 04 16    fax: (+47) 22 96 30 50