[R] Anyone use pls package?

Patrick Connolly P.Connolly at hortresearch.co.nz
Wed May 16 05:00:21 CEST 2001

I am searching for more recent information about the pls package. It
would appear that it is not being maintained (for reasons which are
easy to guess and understand).

I downloaded the pls package from CRAN.  I noticed that it wouldn't
work until I changed the name of the file that contains the functions
to .path/library/pls/R/pls so that it worked the way other libraries do.
I emailed Kjetil Halvorsen who had done the R port, but received no
reply.

The reference manual (dated 12/12/2000) mentions 6 functions -- all
described identically and give identical results with the example
given.  I would like to hear from anyone who has used this package and
can tell me how I use the vector of regression coefficients.
Alternatively any pointers to a URL that covers it would be
appreciated.

I could find no mention of PLS in the R archive and some quite old
ones in the Splus archive, one from 1994 (I think) from Mike Denham
who indicated he was having difficulty finding time to work on the
package. Other people mentioned he was unreachable by email.  The
References in the documentation include one by Mike Denham dated 1994
which is 'to appear'.

Any more recent information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick Connolly
HortResearch                        Great minds discuss ideas;
Mt Albert                           Average minds discuss events;
Auckland                            Small minds discuss people.
New Zealand                                                 .... Anon
Ph: +64-9 815 4200 x 7188