[R] Summary: Teaching with R a quick survey.

Jeremy Baxter J.Baxter at ru.ac.za
Sat Nov 10 10:50:57 CET 2001

Hi
I would like to start by thanking everyone that replied. Thank you for the
information, and for the comments about how or why you use it and thankx for
the encouragement re my talk....

Please note that I do not claim to have ellicited a reply from all users of
R, this is a quick survey not a census.

I have tried to break the responces down to the following categories:

Where: (hopefully my geography is not as bad as my teachers claimed??)

When: Undergraduate level or post graduate level.

I included all the posts that i recieved.

Thank you.
jeremy

-----------------------
Where:

Austria
Vienna University of Technology, Department of Statistics
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration:
Vienna University of Technology

Austalia:
University of Technology, Sydney

Brazil:
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife/PE

France:
University of Lyon

The Netherlands:
University of Nijmegen, Dept. of Chemometrics, ED Nijmegen

SPAIN:
Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra (CSIC), Barcelona
Royal College "Escorial-Maria Cristina", San Lorenzo del Escorial(Madrid)
University of the Basque Country, Bilbao
Institut Catala d'Oncologia Hospitalet, Barcelona

Switzerland :
ETH, Zurich
Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL

Germany:
Fachbereich Statistik, Universität Dortmund.

New Zealand:
The University of Auckland

Portugal:
Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão in Viana do Castelo

Taiwan:
National Cheng-Kung University

United Kingdom:
UEA, Norwich
St Andrews University, Scotland
Durham University
Nordic School of Public Health

United States:
University of Florida
University of Pennsylvania
Appalachian State University
University of Virginia
University of Waterloo
College of Staten Island/ City University of New York
University of Washington, Seattle
Reed University

Non Teaching:
Rhode Island, USA
National Eye Institute, USA
Sao Paulo Fisheries Institute, Sao Paulo State, Brazil.
Bank of Canada (Canada's central bank)
Forest Insect Group of the Royal Forest Department, Thailand.
University of Madras, India

Undergrad:
1. not-only-theoretical-parts (e.g. Statistics 2, Computational Statistics,
Quality Assurance, Factorial Design, ...).

2. 1 third year course on either genralized linear models or time series
( is switches)

3. Will use this year with our second year statistical modelling course

4. If I am brave enough with the new first year stats course

5. Main first year course + one first year service course, and for 3rd/4th
year modules in generalized linear modelling, sampling and computer intensive
stats. Our main 2nd year course will be converted to R (from Minitab) this
year

6. A first course in probability and statistics for computer science majors,
Linear regression, and occasionally in math stat (all undergraduate classes).

7. Introductory stats class (pre-calc assumption only).

8. An undergrad/grad categorical data analysis course and a service course for
undergraduate computer science majors

9. Main second year Statistics course (about 1500 students per year) and
either R or S-PLUS for most of our third year course and subsequent ones.

10. inear models, design of experiments, and basically whatever other course
I might be teaching. The students are using this from about the 5 semester.

11. All the way through the undergraduate degree, with explicit R practicals
given to the 1st and 2nd year students

12. Introductory statistics courses (all disciplines, with strongr
epresentation of biology, economics, sociology, political science, and the
occasional math student)

13. Industrial Statistics.

14. Teaching (introductory) statistics to chemistry students.

15. Epidemiological data and custom graphical presentation.

16. 1st and 2nd year stats courses

Postgrad:
1. Ecology/statistics: postgraduate course in ecological modeling and
estimation).

2. Teaching to stats, maths, comp.science, and other students; but not to
biology, agricultural, plant sciences (where SyStat is used)

3. Graduate methods course in psychology

4. We have 2 masters courses coming on stream this year that will use R.

5. PhD work: analyse oznoe datasets and compare them with many different
variables from the atmosphere and so.

6. Graduate course entitled Analysis of Survival Data.

7. R for simulations in their PhD research.

8.  for both teaching (masters, under and post graduate) and research, in all
fields of statistics and particularly multivariate analysis.

9. Econometrics I and II (4th year curriculum students)

10. Master/Ph.D.)
    Statistical Methods, Linear Model,
    Statistical Computation and Simulation,
    Reliability Analysis,
    Special Topics in Regression Analysis

11. Postgraduate courses on Linear Models (Regression, ANOVA)
and Multivariate Analysis to third and fourth year Economics students.

12. Graduate courses on computational statistics and on applied statistics

13. stats course in PhD program

not specified:
Applied Mathematics
Data Engineering and Statistics

Teaching survival analysis and analysis of categorical data (glm)

Sensory analysis as part of the Food Engineering degree

Data mining course
Biostatistics
Business Statistics
Statistical Computing
Actuarial Mathematics

<All messages included... i hope!>

ecology/statistics (postgraduate course in ecological modeling and
estimation), University of Florida, US
318 Carr Hall                                bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704

ETH Zurich / Switzerland :
 1) Teaching Postgradaute course Statistics
    Teaching to stats, maths, comp.science, and other students;
      but not to biology, agricultural, plant sciences (where SyStat is used)
 2) almost all of research in (Mathematical) Statistics
 3) for all data analysis including paid projects
I'm very interested in your summary.
Also wondering how you can try to make sure to get an answer from almost
every institution that *does* use R..

Regards,
Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO D10     Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)   8092 Zurich     SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408           fax: ...-1228                   <><

Where: Fachbereich Statistik, Universität Dortmund, Germany.
Sections: Dependent on who is teaching in nearly all
not-only-theoretical-parts (e.g. Statistics 2, Computational Statistics,
Quality Assurance, Factorial Design, ...).

Uwe Ligges

Health Psychology Unit
University of Technology, Sydney

uses R for statistical analysis.

Jim
(Research Psychologist, Health Psychology Unit, UTS)
R is used
1 third year course on either genralized linear models or time series
( is switches)

Will use this year with our second year statistical modelling course

If I am brave enough with the new first year stats course
--
G.Janacek                                        44 (0) 1603 592489
Dean                                    fax     44 (0) 1603 593868

Vienna University of Technology, Department of Statistics, Austria

R is used in several classes of the programs
         Applied Mathematics
         Data Engineering and Statistics

and of course in most of our research.

Best,
Fritz

                        Friedrich  Leisch
Institut für Statistik                     Tel: (+43 1) 58801 10715
Technische Universität Wien                Fax: (+43 1) 58801 10798
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
A-1040 Wien, Austria

I'm using it in a graduate methods course in psychology here.
See my web page for the syllabus.  I'm not sure how many
students will continue to use it, or revert to SPSS (or,
worse, JMP-IN) to do their data analysis.  But I am sure
that it is more than zero!  Jon

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch
Hi,

We're using R quite extensively in the School of Mathematics and
Statistics at St Andrews Uni. Scotland.
Currently we're using it for our main first year course + one first year
service course, and for 3rd/4th year modules in generalized linear
modelling, sampling and computer intensive stats. Our main 2nd year course
will be converted to R (from Minitab) this year, and we have 2 masters
courses coming on stream this year that will use R.

Simon

> Simon Wood  snw at st-and.ac.uk  http://www.ruwpa.st-and.ac.uk/simon.html
> The Mathematical Institute, North Haugh, St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9SS UK
> Direct telephone: (0)1334 463799          Indirect fax: (0)1334 463748

I have been using R to teach a first course in probability
and statistics for computer science majors, Linear
regression, and occasionally in math stat (all
undergraduate classes).  Started using R in the first class
fall 1998.  Thinking about using it in a new class (read:
... yet to be developed) for biology majors.

Alan

----------------------
Alan T. Arnholt
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Appalachian State University

Tel: (828) 262-2863
Fax: (828) 265-8617

Hi

I am using R for all statistical problems which are coming along. At the
moment I have finished the evaluation of a survey on big predator acceptance.

Kind regards
--christian

Dr.sc.math.Christian W. Hoffmann
Mathematics and Statistical Computing
Landscape Modeling and Web Applications
Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL
Zuercherstrasse 111
CH-8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
phone: ++41-1-739 22 77    fax: ++41-1-739 22 15
e-mail: christian.hoffmann_at_wsl.ch__prevent_spamming
www: http://www.wsl.ch/staff/christian.hoffmann/

We use R for statistical analysis of ecological
data and time series of climate records. We also
use it, integrated with other tools, for the
classification of remotely-sensed imagery.

Agus

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra (CSIC)
Lluis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona SPAIN
tel 34 93409 5410
fax 34 93411 0012
alobo at ija.csic.es

hi jeremy

i use R for my PhD work. I analyse oznoe datasets and compare them with
many different variables from the atmosphere and so. I work in the
Institute for Atmopheric and Climate Science, it's part of the federal
institute of technology Zurich (ETH Zurich) Switzerland.

links

the university: www.ethz.ch
the institute: www.iac.ethz.ch
my page: www.iac.ethz.ch/staff/maeder/

greuss

joerg
--
    Joerg Maeder             IACETH              INSTITUTE
   PhD Student                              FOR ATMOSPHERIC

I do a lot of teaching with S-Plus which would apply to
most R users.  I have a lot of material at
http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/teaching/statcomp
--
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences

We use R in Statistics and Actuarial Science at the University of
Waterloo.  In particular, I use the software to teach a graduate course
entitled Analysis of Survival Data.

Other instructors may also use R in their teaching.  I'm afraid I don't
have any firm details.

David Matthews

I am using R for an introductory stats class (pre-calc assumption
only). It seems to be working out well. I've developed some notes for
using R at this level which one day may make it to CRAN.

Institution: College of Staten Island/ City University of New York
Course: Applied statistics with computers

--JOhn
.  John Verzani                  mailto:verzani at math.csi.cuny.edu  .
.  Dept. of Mathematics      http://www.math.csi.cuny.edu/~verzani .
  City University of New York                 tel: (718) 982-3623 .
.  College of Staten Island                    fax: (718) 982-3631 .
.  Staten Island, NY 10314                                         .

We use S for statistics courses for graduate students in Statistics and
Biostatistics. Some of the students and a couple of the faculty use R
rather than S-PLUS.

Many students use R for simulations in their PhD research (I don't know if
you include this as teaching)

         -thomas

Thomas Lumley                    Asst. Professor, Biostatistics
tlumley at u.washington.edu         University of Washington, Seattle

We use it here at the University of Lyon, Biometry Lab, France, for both
teaching (masters, under and post graduate) and research, in all fields
of statistics and particularly multivariate analysis.

http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/R/enseignement.html

Jean
--
Jean Thioulouse - Equipe "Ecologie  Statistique" - UMR CNRS 5558
Universite Lyon 1, Bat. Mendel, 69622 Villeurbanne Cedex, France

FWIW, I have used R in two courses so far (an undergrad/grad
categorical data analysis course and a service course for
undergraduate computer science majors).  In the future I'll probably
use it an all the courses that I teach that require computing.  I
believe that a few of my colleagues in the Dept. of Statistics are
using R in classes as well.

There is also someone in the Department of Political Science here who
has used R in a graduate course over there.  Finally, Ben Bolker in
our zoology department posts to the R lists quite regularly and I
imagine that he is also using R in his teaching (unfortunately I don't
know him personally).

Hope that helps.

--
Brett Presnell
Department of Statistics

where:  Rhode Island, USA
how: self-employed consultant; preparing and analyzing statistical
experimental designs for chemical, biotechnology industries

--
Robert Burrows
New England Biometrics
rbb at nebiometrics.com

I use R for biostatistical research and analysis, I use it as a calculator,
and I use it to manage my lists of bird sightings (the latter is not part of
my official duties).

TAC
Terry A. Cox, MD, PhD
Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Research
National Eye Institute

National Institutes of Health
31 Center Drive, MSC 2510
Building 31, Room 6A52
Bethesda, MD 20892-2510

Phone: 301-496-6583
FAX:   301-496-2297
mailto:tac at nei.nih.gov

At Auckland we use R for our main second year Statistics course (about
1500 students per year) and either R or S-PLUS for most of our third year
course and subsequent ones. We also use SAS from third year. R use would
be increasing, S-PLUS declining I think. Most of what we expect students
to do can now be done using R.

Hope  this helps.

David Scott
David Scott     Department of Statistics
                Tamaki Campus
                The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                Auckland        NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 6830     Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:  d.scott at Auckland.ac.nz

President, New Zealand Statistical Association

Hola!

We use R (or at least I use it) for linear models, design of
experiments, and basically whatever other course I might be teaching.
The students are using this from about the 5 semester.

Kjetil Halvoersen

My name is Antonio Olinto. I'm a marine biologist and I work at Sao Paulo
Fisheries Institute, Sao Paulo State, Brazil.

I'm using R in many things related to fish dymanics (linear and non-linear
model adjustment, statistical tests and descriptive stat. ), fishing effort
standardization (glm), etc.

Why to use it? It's a freeware and it's mailing list is too much better than
any technical support. The way it works helps a non-statistician to
understand better modelling and statistics in general.

Best wishes,

Antonio

In the Maths Dept at Durham (U.K.) we use R in Statistics teaching all
the way through the undergraduate degree, with explicit R practicals
given to the 1st and 2nd year students.  Incidentally many of us also
use R as our primary research tool.

Cheers, Jonathan.
--
Jonathan Rougier                       Science Laboratories
Department of Mathematical Sciences    South Road

I use R in the introductory statistics courses here at Reed.
The intro courses are taken by students from all disciplines,
with strong representation of biology, economics, sociology,
political science, and the occasional math student.  It does not
assume calculus, though in recent years about 80-90% of the students
have had at least a semester of calculus, or a high school calculus
course.  There is a weekly lab section.

In the mathematical statistics course I do less data analysis,
because most of those students have already had the intro
course, but whatever we do will be in R.

Reed is a small (1100 students) liberal arts school, in Portland
Or, USA.

regards

albyn
http://www.reed.edu/~jones    Albyn Jones          jones at reed.edu
Reed College, Portland OR 97202             (503)-771-1112 x7418

I do teach a course in Econometrics using R. This is a two semester course,
after another course in Mathematical Statistics.

Here are my data:

    Prof. Agustin Alonso
    Royal College "Escorial-Maria Cristina"
    San Lorenzo del Escorial(Madrid)
    Spain

Course: Econometrics I and II.
Fourth year of the curriculum in Business Administration.
Enrolled: 70 students.

I wish you a good luck in your talk to the South African Statistical
Association

Sincerely yours

Agustin Alonso

I am using R, since version 1.1.1,
in my teaching of the following courses
(from that time to now):
Graduate level (Master/Ph.D.)
    Statistical Methods, Linear Model,
    Statistical Computation and Simulation,
    Reliability Analysis,
    Special Topics in Regression Analysis
Undergraduate level:
    Industrial Statistics

I had being an user of S-Plus since I was a Ph.D. student
(around 1990) till I found R (version 1.1.1).
S-Plus has being the primary tool for my Ph.D. research,
research afterwards, teaching, and consulting.

Since my students are statistics-majored, I strongly believe
that they should understand how statistical methods being
carried out, or even done by themselves,  besides knowing
how and when to apply them.
Due to this reason, I emphsize the capability of programming
of some statistical methods and carring out simulation study,
via the use of non-menu-driven R.
Certainly, as S-Plus turned to version 4, its heavily using
computer system resouce to build up its menu-driven stuff and
its increasing in puchasing cost are my other reasons to be
away from it.

Best regards,

C. Joseph Lu
Associate Professor
Department of Statistics
National Cheng-Kung University
Tainan
Taiwan, ROC

University of the Basque Country (Bilbao, Spain)
School of Economics

Used to teach postgraduate courses on Linear Models (Regression, ANOVA)
and Multivariate Analysis to third and fourth year Economics students.

I myself and several other faculty members use it for research and as
an "all around" statistical package.

ft.
--
Fernando TUSELL                                e-mail:
Departamento de Econometría y Estadística           etptupaf at bs.ehu.es
Facultad de CC.EE. y Empresariales             Tel:   (+34)94.601.3733
Avenida Lendakari Aguirre, 83                  Fax:   (+34)94.601.3754
E-48015 BILBAO  (Spain)                        Secr:  (+34)94.601.3740
PGP: finger etptupaf at bsdx01.bs.ehu.es          http://etdx01.bs.ehu.es

Hi... I use R for teaching at the Universidade Federal of Pernambuco
in Brazil (Department of Statistics). I teach graduate courses on
computational statistics and on applied statistics. I have been
using R in this courses.

We produce graphics, fit linear regressions, fit GLMs, fit ARIMA
models, etc. We also perform simple Monte Carlo simulations
using R. The students enjoy R and it has been a pleasant
experience. Cheers, Francisco.

--
Francisco Cribari-Neto               voice: +55-81-32718420
Departamento de Estatistica          fax:   +55-81-32718422
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco   e-mail: cribari at de.ufpe.br
Recife/PE, 50740-540, Brazil         http://www.de.ufpe.br/~cribari

I use R for teaching (introductory) statistics to chemistry students; in
order not to have them learn the ins and outs of R syntax, I coupled it to a
web interface (similar to Rweb). You can find the web pages at
www.sci.kun.nl/cgi-bin-webchem/Stat/index.pl

Cheers,
Ron

---------------------------------+------------------------------------
Ron Wehrens                      |  Dept. of Chemometrics
Email: rwehrens at sci.kun.nl       |  University of Nijmegen
http://www.sci.kun.nl/cac/       |  Toernooiveld 1
Tel: +31 24 365 2053             |  6525 ED Nijmegen
Fax: +31 24 365 2653             |  The Netherlands

I have been teaching R at the Nordic School of Public Health for two
years. We use it for analysis of epidemiological data and custom
graphical presentation.

Mark

--
Mark Myatt

I work at the Bank of Canada (Canada's central bank) and use R (and sometimes
Splus) extensively for my research in time series. However, neither R nor
Splus
are used very much in the institution, other than by me.

Paul Gilbert

<pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca> or <PaulGilbert at ottawa.com>
Head Statistician/Statisticien en chef,
Department of Monetary and Financial Analysis,
     /Département des Études monétaires et financiers,
Bank of Canada/Banque du Canada
234 Wellington St.,
Ottawa,
Canada K1A 0G9
(613) 782-7346
<http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/pgilbert>

I'm working here in the Forest Insect Group of the Royal Forest
Department, Thailand.

I discovered R early this year after a posting to ENTOMO-L.

I, and I hope later we (including some associates in Laos) use it for
rather classic stats and plotting-the sort that biologist do a lot of.

Cheers,
Robert Cunningham

I read your posting in R-group. We also use R for
our research purposes

   Country: India
University: University of Madras
 Institute: School of Life Sciences
  study: Ecological and Environmental studies

I have been using R for teaching survival analysis and analysis of
categorical data (glm) for 2 years at the Autonomous University of Barcelona,
Spain.

Reasons:
1. R is free and low wheight. Students can have their own copy.
2. We have campus license of SPSS but this does not have easy capabilities
for glm nor parametric survivam models.

Victor Moreno                                       V.Moreno at ico.scs.es
Servei d'Epidemiologia i Registre del Cancer        http://lbe.uab.es
Institut Catala d'Oncologia
Gran Via km 2.7, 08907 Hospitalet, Barcelona, Spain
Tel: + 34 93260 7434 / 7401 / 7812                  fax +34 93260 7787

I am teaching a course on sensory analysis as part of the Food Engineering
degree
at the Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão in Viana do Castelo (Portugal).
have been using R in my practical classes to demonstrate R's capabilities in
terms
of graphing, simple hypothesis testing, nonparametric methods (Friedman,
Chi-square, etc), ANOVA, multiple comparisons. My students have been given a
mini-project, where they will have to conduct a sensory test (most of them
opted
for affective tests) and later analyse their results from that study. Some of
these
students may also need to use some multivariate methods, such as PCA.I have
suggested that they use R, although they could also use other softwares that
are
available to them. Many of my students have regular jobs and find it
difficult to
obtain permission from their employer to attend classes. One of the reasons
for
choosing R was to allow these students to work on tutorials outside of the
scheduled classes, either at home or at work.

For the next semester, I intend to introduce R in a class on Shelf-life
testing.
This will be based on regression analysis and introducing shelf-life models,
such as those based on the Weibull distribution.

Peter
Peter Ho GradIFST
Departamento de Ciências de Engenharia e Tecnológica
Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão
Instituto Politénico de Viana do Castelo
Avenida do Atlântico- Apartado 574
4901-908 Viana do Castelo
Email: peter at estg.ipvc.pt

Current use
@ Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration:
         1st and 2nd year stats courses
         stats course in PhD program
         data mining course
@ Vienna University of Technology
         Biostatistics
         Business Statistics
         Statistical Computing
         Actuarial Mathematics
Best
-k

--
Jeremy Baxter
J.Baxter at ru.ac.za
Views expressed above, no matter how badly spelt, are my own... i think?
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch