[R] job opening: Merck basic research

Pikounis, V. Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Tue Sep 4 15:17:37 CEST 2001

This note is similar to a posting from last summer.  Apologies for
cross-posting to those on both lists.

There is currently one position available.

Please direct all inquiries to Vladimir Svetnik, vladimir_svetnik at merck.com
;
his US Mail address and phone number given below.  Any replies directed to
me
will just be forwarded to him.

Thank you.

###################
STATISTICIAN / DATA ANALYST
Merck Research Labs

Position Description:

The Biometrics Research Department at Merck Research Laboratories, Merck &
Co., Inc. in Rahway, NJ is seeking a highly motivated statistician/data
analyst to work in its basic research and drug discovery area.  Primary
responsibilities include collaborating with scientists on experimental
design
and data analyses, developing statistical and exploratory data analysis
software, developing new statistical methodology, and co-authoring research
presentations and publications.

We collaborate with scientists in a wide range of disciplines, including
biology, biochemistry, genomics, bioinformatics, analytical chemistry,
chemical engineering, bioprocess development, veterinary medicine, and
molecular systems, among others. Good oral and written communications
abilities are therefore essential, as is the desire to learn enough of the
relevant science to interact effectively.

A Ph.D. or equivalent in statistics (such as Masters with substantial
experience) or a related area is required. More specifically, we seek a
statistical scientist with strength in modern methods (cf. Venables and
Ripley, MASS, 1994-9) for the design and analysis of complex studies and the
analysis of large, complex, and "messy" data sets. Some of the specific
statistical areas covered by this description include data visualization,
multivariate non-parametric methods, pattern recognition, resistant/robust
methods, Bayesian methods, nonlinear mixed effect modeling, and
chemometrics. For the data visualization portion in particular, we expect
someone well versed in data graph principles and their applications for
study
and presentation (cf.  Tukey, Tufte, and Cleveland.)

Equally important, we seek someone able and constantly eager to extend and
broaden their statistical and computing expertise to meet new
challenges. Ongoing education is a vital part of the job.

Excellent software skills are essential. Facility in the S Language, either
S-PLUS or R, is required.  Familiarity with other statistical and
mathematical
software (e.g. Matlab, Mathematica) would be a plus, as would experience in
any of C/C++, SQL, or Java. Our computing environment is a mixture of Linux
and Windows operating systems.

Prior experience in the pharmaceutical or related (diagnostic, chemical)
research would be helpful but is not essential. Formal education in
non-statistical areas like biology, chemistry, or computer science would
also
be a big plus.

If you believe that your interests and background might match our needs
please
hardcopy mail your CV or resume and a cover letter to

ATTENTION: Open Position
Vladimir Svetnik, Ph.D.
Biometrics Research Dept.
Merck Research Laboratories, MailDrop RY70-38
126 E. Lincoln Avenue
Rahway, NJ 07065-0900

You can also submit electronically to vladimir_svetnik at merck.com .

(Please note the MailDrop portion is **crucial**).

Feel free to include the URL of a personal web page with additional
information.

Thank you very much.

______________________________
Bill Pikounis, Ph.D.