[R] R kudos

Setzer.Woodrow@epamail.epa.gov Setzer.Woodrow at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Sep 13 19:03:43 CEST 2001

This is not a request for help, but I thought the readers of this mailing
list might appreciate the following, anyway.  I have been working with US
EPA's (that's the United States Environmental Protection Agency) Office of
Pesticides on a preliminary assessment for the effects of exposure to
multiple organophosphate pesticides on human health (as required by the
Food Quality Protection Act).  This is a particularly high profile
activity, and requires external review, conducted by a panel of scientists
from relevant disciplines from the academy, industry, and government.  This
particular assessment required quite a lot of dose-response modeling (there
were over 1300 datasets involved), and I put together an ad hoc package
using R and tcl/tk so that scientists in our Office of Pesticides could
carry out the modeling and evaluate the results.  This package became part
of the public record for the analysis: reviewers (and the general public;
everything was distributed on an EPA web site) could run the models and
view the code as part of their review. Our Science Advisory Panel review
was last week, and we just got their final report.  The following paragraph
may be of interest to R users:

The Panel also commends the EPA on the use of R (see the main EPA report
for references), as it is the best way to ensure portable, open code that
is freely available to all interested users, with state-of-the art
algorithms for statistical calculation.

R. Woodrow Setzer, Jr.                                            Phone:
(919) 541-0128
Experimental Toxicology Division                       Fax:  (919) 541-5394
Pharmacokinetics Branch
NHEERL MD-74; US EPA; RTP, NC 27711

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch