[R] computational capacity of Linux network

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at arbitrade.com
Tue Sep 18 21:55:23 CEST 2001

SUMMARY.

Thank you to all who responded to my question. As usual this list has proven
to be an incredible source of information. For reference I include all
replies I've received.

In summary there are four "products" out there (the interpretations are mine
so please consult the original messages below as necessary):
* www.mosix.org a Linux kernel patch that "automatically
shuffles processes around a network of Linux machines to maximize
performance & make use of memory".

* Codine batch queuing system.  Codine is freely available from
www.sun.com and works reasonably well on Linux boxes. To submit a job one
just prepend it with 'q'. Poor documentation is cited as a major drawback

* GNU queues. Seem to be very similar to Codine

* Load Sharing Facility. There is no information where it can be found, but
is cited not once along with analysis of pros and cons

Again, those interested in more details should read the original messages
included below as they have a lot of valuable information.

Thanks,
Vadim