[R] A request

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang Ko-Kang at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 2 12:46:36 CEST 2002

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zed Shaw" <zedshaw at zedshaw.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [R] A request

> Uwe,
>
> While I may be a newbie on the R list, I do have some experience with
> running open source projects.  My advice is that, if you want people to
> contribute, then be friendly and courteous.  If people don't contribute,
> then it may be because of the way they were treated on this very list.
> This is especially true on lists that have the word "help" in them.
> Generally, the people who send messages to "help" lists do it to get
> "help", and are thus, by definition, clueless.  Treating them like
> morons does not make them happy.

I agree.

However, most of the time it may be a misunderstanding.  I am very sure that
people, in particular the R Core Team, mean no offense at all when replying
to the list.  It is sometimes, however, that "humorous" words can be
"sarcastic" to some people.  I personally prefer to treat all these as
jokes, and have a laugh.

On the other hand, sometimes on the first read I also detect some kind of
"sarcastics" when people posting a question!

The list can become a bit boring if we all reply in a very formal, offical,
serious manor.  I often find it is these humours, and sometimes even the
positive sarcasm that really helps me to learn.

> I personally have had quite a bit of backlashing from folks on here for
> very simple mistakes.  It has contributed to some of my reluctance to
> continue working on my R Report Generator, the crossplatform R graphical
> user interface I was working on, and lots of nice documentation for SPSS
> users.  I may begin it again, but it'd help a lot if people were a bit
> friendlier on here.

Well again, I'm sure those are not really intended to mean backlashing.
Treat them as positive humour :-)

Your R Report Generator is very useful.  Please do not stop working on it!
It is extremely valuable especially when one wish to publish something on
the WWW!  (Some positive feedback :-)).

> On the subject of statistical process control, I would gladly
> participate.  My numerical programming skills are rather weak (too much
> Java has made me soft) and I despise fortran,

I totally agree with this!

Which brings me to this question.  Does R understands Fortran 90, or do we
must use Fortran 77?  Fortran 77 is extremely horrible and difficult to
learn, as I learnt more advanced languages like Java and HTML first!

Cheers,

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch